Last modified: August 5, 2022
1. Our Commitment to Your Privacy
We are committed to ensuring the security and privacy of the collected data. Accordingly, we are committed to observing applicable industry guidelines including those established by the Personal Information Protection Act of the province of British Columbia, the Personal Information Protection Act of the province of Alberta, the Personal Information and Electronic Documents Act of Canada and any other relevant privacy legislation.
Privacy laws in Canada generally defines personal information as any information about an identifiable individual, which includes information that can be used on its own or with other information to identify, contact, or locate a single person. Personal information does not include business contact information, including your name, title, or business contact information.
This policy applies to information we collect, use, or disclose about our customers and Website users:
- on our Website;
- in email, text, and other electronic messages between you and our Website; and
- through mobile and desktop applications you download from our Website, which provide dedicated non-browser-based interaction between you and this Website.
When you interact with our advertising and applications on third-party websites and services if those applications or advertising include links to this policy.
Please read this policy carefully to understand our policies and practices for collecting, processing, and storing your information. If you do not agree with our policies and practices, do not use our Website. Instead please visit one of our seven retail stores (click here for Store Locations).
3. Information We Collect About You
We collect and use several types of information from and about you, including:
- Personal information (“personal information”) that we can reasonably use to directly or indirectly identify you, such as your name, mailing address, delivery address, e-mail address, telephone number, Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet, user name or other similar identifier, account information, transaction information, warranty and service information and any other identifier we may use to contact you online or offline.
- Non-personal information that does not directly or indirectly reveal your identity or directly relate to an identified individual, such as demographic information, or statistical or aggregated information. Statistical or aggregated data does not directly identify a specific person, but we may derive non-personal statistical or aggregated data from personal information. For example, we may aggregate personal information to calculate the percentage of users accessing a specific Website feature, viewing Website pages or using Website links.
- Technical information, including your login information, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform, or information about your internet connection, the equipment you use to access our Website, and usage details.
- Non-personal details about your Website interactions, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URLs), clickstream to, through and from our Website (including date and time), products you viewed or searched for, page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), methods used to browse away from the page, or any phone number used to call our customer service number.
4. How We Collect Information About You
We use different methods to collect your information, including through:
- Direct interactions with you when you provide it to us, for example, by filling in forms or purchase orders or corresponding with us by phone or email or through social media.
- Automated technologies or interactions, as you navigate through our Website. Information collected automatically may include usage details, IP addresses, and information collected through cookies and other tracking technologies.
- Information You Provide to Us
The information we collect directly from you on or through our Website may include:
- user profiles which consists of information that you provide by filling in forms and purchase orders on our Website. This also includes information you provide at the time of registering to use our Website;
- records and copies of your correspondence (including email addresses), if you contact us;
- details of transactions you carry out through our Website to facilitate your purchases through our Website, such as the fulfillment of your orders such as transaction information (such as account and billing information) and warranty information (warranty and service cards) or process any complaints regarding the products you have purchased. You may also be required to provide your credit card information before placing an order through our Website. Your credit card information is not stored by us but is used by our payment gateway providers to allow you to purchase equipment from our Website; and
- information when you enter a contest or promotion sponsored by us, and when you report a problem with our Website.
- Information We Collect Through Cookies and Other Automatic Data Collection Technologies
We may also use these technologies to collect information about your online activities over time and across third-party websites or other online services (behavioral tracking). To learn more or to opt-out of tailored advertising please visit the Digital Advertising Alliance of Canada Opt-Out Tool for information on how you can opt out of behavioral tracking on this Website and how we respond to web browser signals and other mechanisms that enable consumers to exercise choice about behavioral tracking.
The information we collect automatically is statistical data and does not include personal information. However, may maintain it or associate it with personal information that you provide to us, or we receive from third parties. The information we collect helps us to improve our Website and to deliver a better and more personalized service to you.
- The technologies we use for this automatic data collection may include:
- Web Beacons. Pages of our Website may contain small electronic files known as web beacons (also referred to as clear gifs, pixel tags, and single-pixel gifs) which are tiny graphic images, on this Site and in our emails. Web Beacons help us analyze our customers’ online behavior and measure the effectiveness of this Site and our advertising. We work with service providers that help us track, collect, and analyze this information. Web beacons on our Website may be used to collect information about your visit, including the pages you view, the features you use, the links you click, and other actions you take in connection with this Site. We may also track certain information about the identity of the website you visited immediately before coming to this Site. We do not otherwise track any information about your use of other websites.
5. How We Use Your Personal Information
We use information that we collect about you or that you provide to us, including any personal information:
- to present our Website and its contents to you;
- to provide you with information, products, or services that you request from us;
- to fulfill the purposes for which you provided the information or that were described when it was collected, or any other purpose for which you provide it;
- to carry out our obligations (such as maintaining your warranty and service information) and enforce our rights arising from any contracts with you, including for billing and collection or to comply with legal requirements;
- to notify you about changes to our Website or any products or services we offer or provide though it;
- to establish connection between Fitness Town’s servers and user’s computing devices;
- to optimize website performance, personalizations, improving user experience, and to inform Fitness Town’s marketing intelligence;
- to improve our Website, products or services, marketing, or customer relationships and experiences;
- to help us analyze our customers’ email behavior and measure the effectiveness of our advertising and marketing efforts and to inform our marketing intelligence;
- in any other way we may describe when you provide the information;
- for any other purpose with your consent.
6. Disclosure Of Your Personal Information
- to advertisers and advertising networks that require the information to select and serve relevant advertisements to you and others. We do not disclose data about identifiable individuals to our advertisers, but we may provide them with aggregate information about our users;
- to contractors, service providers, and other third parties we use to support our business (such as analytics and search engine providers that assist us with Website improvement and optimization) and who are contractually obligated to keep personal information confidential, use it only for the purposes for which we disclose it to them, and to process the personal information with the same standards set out in this policy;
- to fulfill the purpose for which you provide have provided your personal information (ex. to allow us to deliver your purchased equipment to your home);
- for any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide your personal information;
- with your consent.
We may also disclose your personal information:
- To comply with any court order, law, or legal process, including to respond to any government or regulatory request, in accordance with applicable law.
- If we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or Fitness Town’s safety, the safety of our customers, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organizations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
7. You Control Your Personal Information
We strive to provide you with choices regarding the personal information you provide to us. We have created mechanisms to provide you with the following control over your information:
- Your Account Information. You can review and change your personal information by logging into our Website and visiting your personal account profile page (your “Profile Page”). For more information, please see Accessing and Correcting Your Personal Information You may also request that we erase your data and delete your Profile Page, for more information please see Withdrawing Your Consent below.
- Promotional Offers from Fitness Town. If you have opted in to receive certain emails from us but no longer wish to have your email address or contact information used by Fitness Town to promote our own or third parties’ products or services, you can opt-out at any other time by sending us an email stating your request to the email address (email@example.com). If we have sent you a marketing or promotional email, you may unsubscribe by clicking the unsubscribe button at the bottom of our email.
Important: This opt-out of promotional offers does not apply to information provided to Fitness Town as part of a product purchase, warranty registration, product service experience, or other transactions. Even after you click the unsubscribe button you may still receive emails about your purchases, shipment tracking information, and other important information relating to your product.
8. Data Security
The security of your personal information is very important to us. Our store runs on the Shopify e-commerce platform which uses measures designed to secure your personal information from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration, and disclosure. The Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (“PCI DSS”) is a security standard for organizations that handle credit and debit card information. Shopify is certified according to the Level 1 PCI DSS standard, which means that Fitness Town is equipped with data encryption tools, protection of payment transfers, prevention of viruses at the servers, risk analysis tools as well as constant security monitoring.
The safety and security of your information also depends on you. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password for access to certain parts of our Website, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share your password with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the Internet is not completely secure. Although we do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information transmitted to our Website. Any transmission of personal information is at your own risk. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on our Website.
9. Data Retention
Except as otherwise permitted or required by applicable law or regulation, we will only retain your personal information for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes we collected it for, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, accounting, or reporting requirements. Under some circumstances we may anonymize your personal information so that it can no longer be associated with you. We reserve the right to use such anonymous and de-identified data for any legitimate business purpose without further notice to you or your consent.
10. Children Under the Age of 13
Our Website is not intended for children under 13 years of age. No one under age 13 may provide any personal information to or on our Website. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13. If you are under 13, do not use or provide any information on this Website or on or through any of its features/register on our Website, make any purchases through our Website, use any of the interactive or public comment features of this Website, or provide any information about yourself to us, including your name, address, telephone number, email address, or any screen name or user name you may use. If we learn we have collected or received personal information from a child under 13 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information. If you believe we might have any information from or about a child under 13, please contact our Privacy Officer at the email address below.
11. Accessing and Correcting Your Personal Information
You can review and change your personal information by logging into our Website and visiting your account profile page. If you are unable to make any changes to your Profile Page, you can contact us to correct, update or amend your Profile Page. If you are concerned about our response or would like to correct your Profile Page but are unable to access or correct your account, you may contact our Privacy Officer at the email address below.
12. Withdrawing Your Consent
Where you have provided your consent to the collection, use, and transfer of your personal information, you may have the legal right to withdraw your consent under certain circumstances. You may also request that we delete your Profile Page from our database. To withdraw your consent, if applicable, contact our Privacy Officer at the email address below. Please note that if you withdraw your consent and we no longer have your profile in our database: (i) we may not be able to provide you with a particular product or service; (ii) we will be unable to notify you of any manufacturer recalls for your service equipment; (iii) it may slow down a warranty service claim for a product you purchased from our Website; (iv) you will need a copy of your invoice to enable us to validate that you purchased a product from our Website.
We will explain the impact to you at the time to help you with your decision. When writing to us, please provide your exact name, postal address, and email address so that your request can be effectively processed. It may take up to 90 days in order for your information and Profile Page to be completely removed from our Website or our mailing lists.
14. Contact Information and Challenging Compliance