Why a Spin bike – 10 reasons to buy a spin bike:
1) Fits a smaller footprint than the other cardio equipment like an Elliptical, rower or a Treadmill.
2) The Spin bike is much quieter that the other cardio pieces you might use.
3) It’s a great way to get your heart rate up using the big muscle groups to do so.
4) Based on not running and so forth it is a great exercise for your knees and back and there is very limited impact.
5) Out of all the Fitness equipment that you would buy, the Spin bike is the lowest maintenance of all the cardio pieces out there. A good spin bike can last a lifetime of exercise with very little service.
6) You can easily control your output level and challenge yourself with less risk of injury (no outside debris or uneven pavement etc.)
7) You Can enjoy it year round without weather getting in the way.
8) It is an excellent workout. Research has shown that an average 40-minute indoor cycling workout will burn about 500 calories. The amount of calories burned by each individual will vary, depending on the intensity and duration of the workout.
9) It is simple to learn: Indoor cycling does not require that the participant learn any complicated dance steps, as some other aerobic workouts do. This eliminates the “intimidation factor” that is part of certain aerobic workouts.
10) It is appropriate for adults of all fitness levels – you control the resistance levels.
*Note: There are no programs on spin bike consoles yet but there are many great DVDs that put you in a class to get your workout done.
What to look for in a great Spin bike:
1) Spin bikes are designed to be quiet but this only happens if it has a belted drive rather than a chain drive. Chain drive bikes are loud and they require maintenance. The belted drive bikes make very little noise and require no maintenance.
2) A console display is a great idea for a spin bike. Knowing what you are doing while riding is the best way to get your result. The display should have RPM, Speed, Distance, Level and Heart Rate. This Heart rate should work with a telemetry strap.
3) Should have a parts warranty longer than a year.
4) The bike should have an adjustable saddle and headset and you should be able to move both options forward and back and up and down for adjustment.
5) The bike has to be comfortable to start.
*Note: Bike seats are comfortable but it takes about a month to be comfortable. The bike seat doesn’t conform to your butt, your butt conforms to the seat. This is why it takes longer. Remember if you ride a bike 3 times a week it will take you longer to get comfortable with the seat. Recommendation is to buy cycling shorts anyway as the comfort will allow you to spend more time spinning.
Here are 4 spin bikes that Hit the good better best categories:
This is The Good:
Fit Spin Regular bike:
Fitness Town’s Fit Spin bike is a great Beginner to intermediate bike that will offer you a rock sold workout and last you a long time. This bike comes standard with all the options of all the high end spin bikes a great price. These features include:
– Bike computer that has time, distance, RPM, Read out for level and Heart rate that works with a telemetry strap.
– Compatible SPD and Toe clip options for pedals
– Comfortable Split seat to allow blood flow for men. Gotta keep the swimmers swimming.
– Belted Drive
– Adjustable Head Set and Seat forward and back and up and down.
– 3 year Parts warranty
– Wide base for stability
– Heavy duty adjustment knobs for longer wear
This is Better:
Lemond Revmaster Pro:
Designed By Greg Lemond with the intention of having all levels of users from beginner to Tour De France riders, anyone can use this bike and have it last. This is a mid to high end bike built with comfort and durability in mind:
Lemond comes with the following features:
– Heavy duty X frame designed for commercial use.
– Very smooth Kevlar belt.
– Quick release seat and handle bar adjustments.
– Great Console with all the essential info you need to get a great workout.
– Intergrated Stretch pads on the rear of the bike.
– 47lb fly wheel.
These are the best:
Keiser M3 Plus:
This is the Health club bike of choice. The Keiser M3 has the lightest flywheel of the bikes listed as the tension is created with magnetic force so you don’t need a heavy fly wheel to make the tension smooth. My favorite part of this bike is the shifter to change the resistence. Everything is right in front of you so you don’t have to move to make changes. Everything on this bike is where it is supposed to be.
Features on the Keiser M3 Plus:
– Tension shifter on the handle bars
– Magnetic resistance bike
– Great console that has a sensor to back light the console in the dark if you are watching movies. Console also works with Telemetry strap
– Gravity water bottle holder that will fit any water bottle.
– Adjustable seat and head set forward and back and up and down.
– Seat has springs for added comfort.
LifeCycle GX by Life Fitness
Let’s start with a quick history of Life Fitness. For many years they used to sell the Lemond spin cycles under their banner, then they switched to Keiser spin bikes. Then 2 years ago, after taking the best elements from the Lemond cycle and the best from the Keiser, they created the Life cycle GX.
They combined the heavy duty cranks with the rear flywheel magnetic resistance to create the Life Cycle GX with the signature Life Fitness styling. The custom forged cranks smoothly transfer your pedal stroke power into the bike. The Life Cycle GX features a substantial adjustable handlebar with dual water bottle holders. The smoothed, slightly rounded surface reduces places for sweat to pool and potentially corrode the bike. The LifeCycle Gx also has a narrow Q-factor – it’s more narrow than the Keiser spin bike and but not as narrow as the Lemond – this gives it a more road bike feel. The built in red Flywheel guard protects the rear magnetic flywheel and creates a distinctive look. The back frame also has two stretching pads to allow you to incorporate your warmup and cooldown into your spin workout all without adding the need for other equipment.
Spin bike are a great way to get your workout in, great for cardio without beating up your body. If you have any additional questions you can call or head into your local Fitness Town and our Fitness Equipment experts would be more than happy to find the right fit for you!